First Tuesday Education Series
How Anesthesia Affects the Body
Tuesday, April 4, 2023
5:00 pm-6:00 pm
Free! No Registration Required
Curious about the Process of Anesthesiology and Its Effects on the Body?
Wondering what to expect with anesthesia before, during and after surgery? Join Dr. Burkhard Spiekermann, staff anesthesiologist with Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital, for a free session on how anesthesia affects the body.
Dr. Spiekermann will explain the types of anesthesia, side effects, and risks. He'll share information about what happens during surgery, why certain side effects occur, and how to minimize risk and enjoy a smooth and healthy recovery.
Your Instructor: Burkhard Spiekermann, MD
Staff Anesthesiologist, Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital
- MD: Hahnemann University (Philadelphia, PA) - 1989
- Board certified in Anesthesiology
- Internship: the Reading Hospital and Medical Center (January 1, 1989 - January 1, 1990)
- Residency: University of Virginia Medical Center (January 1, 1990 - January 1, 1993)
- Previously employed several years at University of Virginia
- During his tenure at Sentara MJH, he previously served as the Medical Director of Perioperative Care
- Currently employed with Sentara Martha Jefferson Hospital as a Staff Anesthesiologist